Partnering with Parents in the Kitchen
Strategies to Help the Picky Eater
Masterclass with Melanie Potock, MA, CCC-SLP
Coach Mel’s Masterclasses are your opportunity to dive deep into a hot topic in pediatric feeding. More than just a PowerPoint presentation – this is online learning that takes it up a notch.
What makes this masterclass experience so special?
- Attendance is limited to foster in-depth discussion
- It’s for BOTH parents & professionals who want to help the pickiest eaters
- A live and dynamic learning experience
- Sessions are designed to be interactive and memorable, with a few creative twists along the way!
- Four hours packed with valuable content and smart strategies that you use immediately with your hesitant or picky (or pickiest!) eaters.
Do I need a webcam? This unique learning opportunity requires a webcam and microphone so that you can interact with Melanie.
The participant will be able to:
- Provide parents of children with feeding difficulties specific strategies for common mealtime challenges, including teaching a child to enjoy sitting at the table, interact with food via play and participate in mealtime routines.
- Identify activities and routines throughout a child’s meals or snack times to support treatment strategies.
- Break down challenging behaviors into manageable pieces and communicate to parents how to address those pieces in a positive manner, building success in treatment over time.
Timed Agenda [4.5 hours]
Hours One and Two
- [10 min] Important Introductions to Course Concepts & Resources
- [15 min] Research & Results of Food Exposures
- [15 min] Feeding Therapy & Family Dynamics
- [20 min] Parent Joyfully: Keeping Interactions Positive
- [20 min] Parent Compassionately: Stepping into the Child’s Shoes
- [20 min] Parent Bravely: Strategies for Driving Hunger and Setting Boundaries
- [20 min] Parent Patiently: Knowing When and How to Wait
Hours Three and Four
- [30 min] Parent Proactively:
- Understanding How to Support Gross and Fine Motor Skills
- Adapting Food
- [30 min] Parent Consistently: Strategies for Consistent Practice at Mealtimes
- [30 min] Parent Mindfully:
- Spoon Feeding
- Mealtime Mindset
- [30 min] Strategies for Implementing the Three E’s: Expose, Explore, Expand
- Understanding a Child’s Sensory System & Eating Skills
- Sensory Considerations in the Kitchen
- Anxiety: How to Cope
- Lunch Packing for Hesitant Eaters
- [30 min] Question and Answers / Closing Remarks
Who should attend?
Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Registered Dietitians, Pediatricians and other health professionals; Parents, teachers and family members of picky eaters of all ages.
Cost: $195 USD registration
This is a LIVE course and is also available On-Demand here ( please note that on-demand courses may have different registration fees and do not include the Masterclass benefits below).
PLUS, masterclass attendees receive:
- $25 discount for a one-on-one coaching session with Melanie
- $50 discount on Melanie’s most popular 9.5 hour video course: Feeding Development: Understanding the Spectrum of Eating in Children
- $20 discount toward a future masterclass
Faculty & Disclosures
Melanie Potock, MA, CCC-SLP, is an international speaker on the topic of feeding babies, toddlers and school age kids. She is the co-author of the award-winning Raising a Healthy Happy Eater: A Stage-by-Stage Guide to Setting Your Child on the Path to Adventurous Eating (2015) and the upcoming Responsive Feeding: The Baby-First Guide to Stress-Free Weaning, Healthy Eating, and Mealtime Bonding (Jan 2022). The tips in her activity cookbook for parents & kids, Adventures in Veggieland: Help Your Kids Learn to Love Vegetables with 100 Easy Activities and Recipes (2018) are based on the latest research and Melanie’s 20 years of success as a pediatric feeding therapist. Melanie’s children’s book You are Not an Otter takes preschoolers on a food adventure, exploring all the ways that various animals eat! Melanie’s advice has been shared in a variety of television and print media, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, CNN.com and Parents Magazine. Contact her at www.MelaniePotock.com and follow Mel on Instagram and Facebook too!
Financial: Melanie Potock, MA, CCC-SLP is the author of Adventures in Veggieland: Help Your Kids Learn to Love Vegetables with 100 Easy Activities and Recipes. Ms. Potock is the co-author of Raising a Healthy Happy Eater: A Stage-by-Stage Guide to Setting Your Child on the Path to Adventurous Eating, for which she receives royalty payments. She is the co-author of Baby Self-Feeding: Solid Food Solutions to Create Lifelong Healthy Eating Habits and was paid to write the book but does not receive royalties. She is the author of Happy Mealtimes with Happy Kids: How to Teach Your Child about the Joy of Food!, for which she receives royalties. Melanie is the executive producer of the children’s music CD titled Dancing in the Kitchen and profits from song purchases. Ms. Potock owns My Munch Bug, LLC and the online educational courses and profits from registrations online. Ms. Potock is an international speaker who presents a variety of courses and is paid to present these courses at various events. She owns a therapy practice for the assessment and treatment of feeding challenges in children and is paid for that service. She may receive a stipend for some articles that may appear online or in magazines.
Non-financial: Melanie Potock is a past-contributor to the American Speech Language Hearing Association’s blog, The ASHA Leader, and she was not compensated. She may not receive a stipend for some articles that appear online or in magazines and this varies month to month, depending on media needs. She is the co-author of Doctor Yum’s Preschool Food Adventure, a preschool food education curriculum and does not receive compensation for her role supporting that program.
ASHA CEUs provided through TalkTools®️.
Special Needs Request: If you require specific accommodations because of a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 10 calendar days before the workshop date so that appropriate arrangements may be made.
Cancellation: Registrants may cancel their registration 48 prior to the start of the event and receive a partial refund of $100 or contact Melanie to reschedule. Rescheduling is based on availability. Cancellations within 48 hours of the start of the event are not refundable.